Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Upon Reflection- Why I write

I've been doing some writing for my company which some of you may or may not know, and it has got me thinking about the whole blogging thing. I got my first subscriber today, she is a woman who runs a blog called "A Personal Finance Guide by Susan Kishner". It's pretty well written and has some good info about repairing your credit, so on and so forth. I am plugging, though unintentionally.

I just find it really validating to know that someone outside of my company thinks something I'm producing is worth reading on a regular basis. Now my friends will say things like, "Dude, seriously duh. You're a good writer." It's just that, as a writer you never really believe in these things. You just sort of take it in stride. Smile, laugh about it and maybe feel good about yourself for about a half hour a minute.

But you never really believe it.

I don't even know if I believe it now. I guess it's nice to know that my technical writing has made leaps and bounds, yet my fiction writing has become static. I want to write something that doesn't involve foreclosures or office jobs or being a writer. I want to take the me out of it so badly.

I ought to craft a living out of this writing thing. It seems like I just might be able to do it.

-R

2 comments:

Fryerman said...

It's that feeling of validation that keeps me going forward, too. I know what you mean about that. Even if it happens like twice a year, it's enough to keep us writing, you know?

-R said...

Last night I had a conversation with a friend similar to this one. We were talking about writing and i said that I felt like I could only write a story if a beginning a middle and an end existed in my mind. She suggested that perhaps I should let the me just be and work with it.

It is validation that drives us. It's a shame that our inner critic demands validation before we allow ourselves to create.